Life Lesson #1: Quiet your Stinkin' Thinkin'

3/08/2010 Estreitta 1 Comments

Today, I was talking with a friend who is dealing with so much uncertainty, that they were feeling so overwhelmed, hopeless, and on the verge of depression.  I told them what I went through when I was in college, so many times I wanted to give up even on my life.  If it weren't for my trust in God's faithfulness and some  life lessons He taught me along the way I am sure I wouldn't be here today.  So after sharing them with my friend, I thought i might share them over the next few blogs, and hopefully it would offer some encouragement to those going though some uncertainty of their own.

Life Lesson #1: Quiet your Stinkin' Thinkin':

Even though things don't look good right now maybe the tunnel is so dark you can't even see an inkling of a light at the end of it, I promise you everything will work out!

One of the best ways I found in the midst of so much stress and anxiety is to THINK Positively

 I know that it may be difficult to  think positively with so much seemingly going wrong.  But does thinking negatively help you either? 

If anything it really brings you down, you get full of anxiety and stress and you feel alone and that is not Good for ANY one to feel alone.  Everyday is a new day and make it such.  Stop your mind from dwelling on the mistakes or the bad things that may have happened or are happening.  Choosing to Think Positively will stop the Stinkin' Thinkin' from even entering your view!

Pastor Duane White told me this once and you know it changed my life, he said: 

"Focus on what you DO know not what you don't".

So what I did know was God's Word. I found verses in His word that I could meditate and apply to the situation I was going through.

The first verse that comes to mind:

Romans 12:2 (New International Version)Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

The second verse that I meditated on day and night or even when stinkin' thinkin' would try to creep in was:


Philippians 4:4-8 (New International Version)
(4) Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (5) Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. (6) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (7) And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


(8) Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
I also like how The Message puts this verse:


 4-5Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!

 6-7Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

 8-9Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. (Philippians 4:4-8, The Message)


"Fill your mind with things that are True" is the best way to Quiet your Stinkin' Thinkin'!  As you do this your outlook on life will be so much better.  Instead of beating yourself up for a stupid decision, (Remember when you repent God forgiveness and restores you), as you seek and Trust Him with your life He direct your to your true destiny and purpose in him.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says:


 5-6 Trust God from the bottom of your heart;    don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;   he's the one who will keep you on track.
 (Proverbs 3:5-6, The Message)

You may be saying, Estreitta, there's no way I can get out of this rut.  It is just impossible.  You have no idea what I am going through. 

And you know what my Friend, your right it is impossible if you keep thinking the way you are thinking.  I may not know what you are going through exactly,  But God Does.  So Trust in Him and His Word.  God will Prove himself to you, you Just have to get out of your way and let him!





Next blog:  Life Lesson # 2: Choose Wisely

1 comment :

  1. good good stuff! "Be still and know that I am God"... that verse has gotten me through so much!

    ReplyDelete